Saturday, September 20, 2008

Bottom Six Week 3 Picks


The following are the six least interesting games of the week, according to Clay and Oz. As always, Oz in black, Clay in blue ...

16. KC AT Atlanta (-5)

I have two questions about these teams. 1.) Is Kansas City's quarterback really Tyler Thigpen? and 2.) After a run-heavy week one win - including 220 yards rushing by Michael Turner -, why would the Falcons be inclined the throw the ball 33 times in week 2 (a loss to Tampa Bay)? The Chiefs averaged just over 3 yards PER PLAY last week against Oakland. A lesson in math would do Herm Edwards well. You have a solid running back in Larry Johnson and a second-year QB in Thigpen. Which one's hands would you put the ball into 33 times? Guess who he chose?

Would you be surprised if Kansas City ended up being the team with the league's worst record? I mean, granted they'll come back in the final 2 minutes against the Chargers at least once, but this team is not very good. I'm expecting to see lots of Michael Turner highlights on game breaks on CBS (partly because I pray this game isn't broadcast 15 minutes in any direction from Atlanta). If that doesn't happen, I think both coaches should be fired. Great choice for worst game of the week. It could be a 41-37 shoot-out or a 0-0 tie.

ATLANTA (-5)

I am going for a 0-0 tie, and thanks, I needed that. Its not like I am getting more depressed every day since the final two seconds of the Panthers game. This is just disgusting here, and you know what, we probably will get this game. We have had the Chiefs both weeks of the NFL so far. Seriously? Do these people seriously think that anyone in San Diego wants to watch the Chiefs. I guess they are tied with the Chargers…for…ahmmmm last place.

I don’t care what happens in this game. I thought Atlanta might be decent, but that was pathetic last week. This will be a low scoring game, so it would be easy to take the points. Rookie qb vs terrible qb. I have to think Turner has a pretty good game. KC couldn’t beat Oakland at home, can they keep it under a td on the road? Can I bet on Atlanta as a favorite? Did you actually think Atlanta would be a favorite in any game this year? Damn, Atlanta really has more weapons then KC.

ATLANTA -5

15. Oak @ Bills (-9)

I'm beginning to think you have a grudge against the Raiders. This is the second week in a row they've been placed in the bottom two positions. After McFadden decided he didn't want to be tackled last week, I thought you'd place them a little higher, especially since they're playing your preseason crush Marshawn Lynch's team. This game could be placed a little low. And, yes, I do understand that the Raiders played the Chiefs. Even still, you gotta give McFadden a little credit.

The Bills have impressed me thus far. John Edwards from Crossing Over threw for 236 yards against one of the "best" defenses in the league. The Bills, faced with Lynch being contained all day long, actually moved the ball through the air, something they haven't been able to do since Jim Kelly was playing in Ralph Wilson Stadium. The Bills look like the second best team in the AFC East.

BUFFALO -9

You are right that this game should have been higher, I blew it there. The Bills did look good last week, and they get rewarded with a 9 point spread. The Defense has looked good, the running game has looked OK, and the it was like John Edwards had dead people stealing plays from the Jags defensive coordinator. If he has more games in him like that the Bills could…wait for it…challenge the Patriots for the division. Oakland looked better this week, I say looked, but even though it was one of two games on tv I didn’t watch it. In fact, I didn’t even watch more than 20 minutes of the Giants vs Rams game because it was more interesting to sit in the office and watch gametracker for the other games. Thanks CBS and Fox for making such great decisions on which games the San Diego market would be interested in. McFadden has already had two minor injuries in his two NFL games, which worries me a little. I hope that Fargas is not healthy so that McFadden continues to get the bulk of the carries. Even though I feel good about the Bills right now, it is hard to take away 9 points. After the Denver offense dismantled the Chargers I feel a bit better about the Oak defense. They may be able to keep this game close. There should be a lot of handoffs in this game. I think they keep it close enough.

Raiders +9

(P.S. For those of you who are causing trouble on Union Sports, relax. We made the John Edwards joke because it’s suggesting that Trent Edwards is a no one. At least we weren’t making the joke about John Edwards the politician. Then we’d be forced to make jokes about the “my wife has cancer so vote for me’” Presidential platform.)

Keep in mind, by Sunday I will probably be betting on the Bills, but this is what you get for doing picks on Tues.

14. Hou @ Tenn (-5)

It's about the third week of the season that the oddsmakers begin to accurately place lines.It's tough to get a reading on the Texans because they haven't played since week one and they got their asses kicked. Kerry Collins is the Titans quarterback and he led the game in passing with a staggering 134 yard day. I love that the opposing quarterback was my fantasy choice, Carson Palmer. Chris Johnson looks like the real deal, but the Bengals held him in check aside from a 51-yard TD run. His big play ability is what's going to play a role in the gameplan.

With that said, I think the Texans defense (actually, this is something I know) is better than the Bengals’. Matt Schaub is better than Collins. The Texans have faced a little adversity this season and that adversity can lead into a team becoming more unified and winning one when it matters most for the morale of the team and the city.

Texans (+5)

Or it can lead to dissention and a lack of focus. Tennessee’s defense has been superb so far, but they have faced to screwed up offenses. I don’t like the Texans on the road again, and their offense is a bit one dimensional. I think when facing a defense as good as this, you have to be able to mix things up on offense, but the Titans front line is good enough to leave on their own to stop the run, and work on keeping Shaub and Johnson in check. I don’t how much Kerry Collins and the Titans offense will be able to accomplish, but so far they have been able to do enough. Collins, pathetically, is a bigger threat in the passing game then was Vince Young. I see no reason this game should go over the total, no matter where it is set. As of today, I think that the Houston offense should do just enough to keep it close with Tenn doing very little on offense.

Texans +5

13. Miami @ NE (-12.5)

Nothing made me happier than when I received a text message stating 19-10, game over, Pats win. I was at a wedding with no TV's anywhere. The subtraction of Tom Brady makes the Patriots weaker, but they still have a tremendous team. The Pats are going to have to harken back to the days of Antwoine Smith and David Patten, role players performing just their jobs, nothing less, nothing more; they're going to have to rely on the schemes and gameplans of Belichick; Lastly, they need the defense to play as one solid unit throughout (see: 2001, 2003) in order to be a serious contender. Guys like Richard Seymour and Rodney Harrison are going to have to come to play every week, which they started off nicely this weekend in New York. Without Brady, are the Patriots a Super Bowl favorite? No way. Can they at least play with the big boys? Without a doubt. They can beat some of them too.

What I liked when I watched the game on DVR was how Matt Cassell managed the game. He does get a little anxious in the pocket, but that will come from never starting a college or pro game in his career. New England also settled for the safer plays down in the red zone, which should change once Cassell becomes more confident. The runningbacks played well, Wes Welker is money in the bank every game, and, again, once the confidence comes, the Patriots will be able to stretch the field with Moss. I wouldn't be shocked to see them try deep once or twice against the Dolphins this weekend.

This game won't be a blowout, in the usual foot-on-the-gas Patriots blowout, but I think the Patriots are good enough to beat the Dolphins by two trips to the endzone. Click here to see what the "experts" think.

PATRIOTS -12.5

I actually agree with you. The Patriots are still a good team, and they are only going to ask Cassel to manage the game. Again, in his second start, they don’t need him to win the game, they just need him to not lose it. Against he Dolphins that shouldn’t be a problem, and they can probably take a few risks. Then again, they don’t want to hurt his confidence by throwing two picks, even with a 24-6 lead. You mention the Patriots of old, and that is a stretch because these Patriots have a lot more talent, they just are missing their main guy. Like the Patriots of old, however, I think the 2008 Patriots will just do enough to win and work week to week to win the division and improve and come together as time goes on. Patriots win this one easy, but I see a nice back door cover here buy the fish.

Dolphins +12.5

12. StLouis @ Seattle (-10)

I would have ranked this game 15th. Until further notice, any game involving Kansas City, or anyone in the NFC West gets ranked last. Got it? I'm not convinced either of these teams are any good. The Seahawks lost a shoot-out AT HOME to the 49ers last weekend, and the Rams got demolished by the defending champs, also at home. My question is not who covers, I know my pick, but whether to take the over or the under. Seattle ran the ball all over the 49ers last week, but they let J.T. O'Sullivan throw for 321 yards. St. Louis, on the other hand, couldn't run or pass, nor could they stop the run.

New rationale, until further notice, I'm taking the points against the Rams.

Seattle (-10)

Here is the issue, the Niners offense looked lost until they got to Seattle. What happened? Seattle used to win with solid defense and a functional offense. Now they have neither. St Louis hasn’t done anything to warrant taking their side with any spread, but Seattle has done nothing to warrant a 10 point spread. They lost last week as 9 point favorites and the odds makers go right back to them. I think Seattle finally gets their first win of the season (I say finally, my poor Chargers) but 10 points. The truth is that St Louis has been outscored 79-16, and now they go into a hostile environment. Their defense hasn’t stopped anything, and their offense hasn’t beaten anything (all be it against two very good defenses). I think the St Louis offense gets enough done for an over, but 63 points they have lost by so far. I can’t take any amount of points for the Rams until they do one single thing good on the football field. That has yet to happen. Taking St Louis right now would be like betting on Eddie Murphys next movie to be good. Sure, he has made a ton of good movies in the past, and we know he is talented, but how long has it been since he did anything worthwhile…anything?

Seattle -10

11. Det @ SF (-4)

This is a nice combination of two teams that are enigmas. Detroit is getting manhandled so far this season and San Francisco has the aforementioned O'Sullivan behind center. Aaron Rodgers threw all over Detorit last weekend, and we know as much about Rodgers as we do O'Sullivan, really. The Lions showed signs of life against the Packers last week before Kitna decided he'd throw two touchdown passes to the other team. I don't think Isaac Bruce can go off like he did last weekend, especially on grass in San Francisco. We know Frank Gore is good, though. I'm lost on this pick.

When in doubt, I guess, history can't be wrong. The 49ers have won already this season, the Lions have not. I'm expecting a no-defense game here. I'd say the safer money is on the over.

49ERS (-4)

Another over game here. San Fran used to be an under team with great defense and poor offense. Detroit is still an over team with terrible defense and a good offense in the second half when down by 24 points. After Detroit got destroyed at Atlanta, it is hard to take them on the road. They almost backdoored GB, but the defense had nothing when it mattered. The Niners problem on defense has been the running game, which is questionable for Detroit. The Lions have the Eddie Murphy syndrome too, I won’t believe it until I see it.

49ERS -4

No comments: